Monday, November 3, 2014

Eating on the Road... or in the Air!


Hi there!


If you're reading this blog, it probably means you love to eat, love to travel, and love to cook.. Nice to meet you, I'm Brittney!


I have been in the airline industry for about three years now. I started as a regional flight attendant for Republic Airways. I have also worked on the ramp for SkyWest Airlines, and currently work for Delta Air Lines as a flight attendant.


I've always been interested in cooking, as well as finding new recipes to make. One of the most rewarding things is when I've mastered a new recipe, whether it be one from my family, or one found online. Food is something that my family knows, and knows well. 


When I started in the airline industry, it was incredibly difficult to find a way to not eat out every day, even on my days off. I would tell myself, "what's the point of getting food to cook, if I'm only going to be home for three days?". I was gaining weight, getting lazier by the minute, and overall just not feeling my best. My uniform started to fit a little more snug, and my face looked like a pepperoni pizza.I knew that I needed to find a way to start cooking again. 


 I noticed that many other flight attendants would carry lunch boxes, and started paying attention to things they would bring. Many had things like sandwiches, soups, salads, etc. Snacking was anywhere from tuna cans to chips and salsa. I thought that it was very interesting. However, if you're like me, eating the same thing all day every day just isn't possible. 


I bought a lunch box, and started trying to figure out ways to bring food without it going bad. I got a little too ambitious, and ended up wasting more money then I'd planned. It took a lot of trial and error. Other hurdles to jump through ranged from hotel refrigerators freezing my food, and many times hotels not having refrigerators at all. 


Although I'm not a professional chef, nor do things always work out perfectly, I think I've found several ways to get around these complications that are so often thrown at us while working in aviation. This blog is to share my stories as a flight attendant, recipes, as well as to gain feedback for what has worked for other flight attendants! 


Please like my Facebook link for detailed recipes and packing tips as well:
www.facebook.com/galleydelights




Brittney Grace <3

x

No comments:

Post a Comment